Thursday, January 28, 2010

loud & clear

Last weekend, Kari and I stopped by my grandparents house to visit two people unashamed of their inspiring love for one another. Nuna and Pop celebrated their 62nd anniversary this past year.

I wasn't going to, but I will pause a moment and begin to fathom how long that is.

And I don't know whether to clap or cry. Amazing.

Mr. Carroll still looks at his bride with matchless passion and admiration. And my grandmother continues to wear her wedding band with pride, showing it to friends and family as if she were recently engaged. They have indeed set the bar high and as Pop constantly reminds those around him, "We have been thoroughly blessed and have lived a wonderful life together!"

Twelve years ago, Mrs. Carroll fell victim to a massive stroke that would alter her life from that point on. She lost basically all of her ability to speak. However, please note, that has not deterred her from "talking" as she has always been quite the chatter-box. But as my own future bride has learned, the more you interact with Nuna, the more words you can make out and the easier it is to communicate. Some words are more clear than others - 3 in particular: "I love you."

So as we sat in their living room last week, Pop decided to walk down to the lake and catch some fresh air. Kari and I sat with Nuna and out of nowhere, I decided to ask a bold question. I said, "Nuna, would you give Kari and I some advice about marriage?" She lit up, and began. Kari and I sat, mouths closed. Or opened. I can't remember. But we listened. We hung on every phrase, each sound, picking up on a word or two here and there, watching her use her hands as she seemed to motion again and again, pointing at each of us individually and then clasping her hands as if to signify our unity.

And then, my grandmother did something incredible.

She held Kari's hand, closed her eyes and began to pray.

As tears began to roll down my cheeks I realized how bold and courageous that was. My grandmother was speaking to God. She was verbally addressing the creator and sustainer of life. Nuna was talking to her best friend. She was praying over Kari and I and our relationship. Out loud.

Again, we could pick up on a few phrases, but that wasn't the point. We don't pray for others to hear us, we pray to an audience of One. And in that moment, God knew exactly what she was saying. He knew every word. It was loud and clear.

So maybe the "advice" that I received last Saturday wasn't found by my attempt to piece together a few words containing wisdom on relationships and love, rather, the true lesson was a visible and very audible reminder that God calls us to call on Him. No matter what.

Even when no one can understand us or our situation or even our very words, He does.

And He listens.

No comments:

Post a Comment