Thursday, January 21, 2010

[cross]roads

Dear Kentucky,

I want to take a moment and attempt to express my immense gratitude that I have for you.

I met Kari Anne Humkey almost eight years ago at a Christ in Youth summer conference. We both attended conference for one reason; one simple reason: we wanted to grow closer to Jesus Christ. We had no clue of the seemingly innocent friendship that was sparked that summer. I had traveled with my best buddies and our youth group North from Covington, GA and she ventured South with a group from Lexington, KY. Milligan College was our destination; 4 1/2 hours from each of our respective home towns. Eight years ago from this coming June, our paths crossed at a central location. Our paths crossed with God at the center. We met in the middle.

And so has been the story of our lives - meeting in the middle. Giving and taking. Calling and answering. Writing and reading. Supporting and surrendering. Talking and listening. Laughing and crying.

We haven't gone longer than a few weeks without communication. Ever.

Kari has practically been apart of a third of my life. We have grown and changed and developed and learned. But one thing has remained the same: our passion to know Jesus better.

We have questioned, we have argued and we have hurt. But we have each other.

And we will always have each other.

On May 30, 2010, Kari and I are getting married. God has opened door after door for us and we couldn't be happier or more blessed.

We're often asked the question, "How did this all begin?" And the simplest explanation is that it began when God decided to rock our worlds and spark a friendship rooted in, around and through Him. He was in the middle.

So as we anticipate living out His plan, I'm reminded that He is still in the middle - and we must each put forth that effort to meet there. The best part of Kentucky has moved to Georgia, but the personal journey that both of us have to continually and consciously take to meet in the middle is just as vital as conquering the 400 miles between our hometowns.

Kari has a prayer that goes like this: "God show me your glory and my place in your story."

God has revealed blessing after blessing to me and I am beyond excited to see what He has in store. He deserves all of the credit and glory for bringing such a beautiful girl with a beautiful heart into my life. We are enjoying every moment of the story. Good or bad, up or down, He is at the center.

So I thank Kentucky and the lesson that was forced for us to learn from the distance between us. I always say, and even told her father the night I asked his blessing to marry his daughter, "If it weren't for the distance, I would have probably messed it all up." God used a method that allowed me to get to know my future wife from the inside-out. Meaning, I got to know her heart first. Her passions, desires and inspirations, followed by her feelings and emotions. As we got older, more and more mysteries about this girl were unveiled, everything from her talents to hobbies to friendships to career aspirations and finally her family. God certainly knew what He was doing when He wrote our story.

And for that, I am truly grateful.

And really, really stoked!

3 comments:

  1. Once again, I'm so happy for you! God works in mysterious ways...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story and you are getting a great girl and a wonderful family. It sounds like you are a very nice young man. It seems like you both know what you want and have God with you to travel that road. I am a friend of the family from Lexington. Janet Mcclanahan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philip,
    Isn't it a blessing to have such a wonderful, God-written love story!? I loved reading your thoughts. I am very happy for you and for where you are in life right now! Congratulations on everything!

    Ashley McCart-Cox

    ReplyDelete